Diamonds are formed deep within the Earth’s depths, under intense pressure and heat. Due to the intensity of the formation process, every diamond has “birthmarks,” which are small imperfections inside (inclusions) and outside (blemishes) of the diamond. Clarity, in relation to diamonds, refers to the degree in which these imperfection are present.
Diamond clarity is graded under 10x magnification. The grades are the following:
- VVS1, VVS2 (Very Very Slightly Included)
The diamond has very little inclusions that are hardly visible under 10x magnification.
- VS1, VS2 (Very Slightly Included)
The diamond has some inclusions that are undetectable by the naked eye, but easily detected under 10x magnification.
- SI1, SI2 (Slightly Included)
The diamond has inclusions that are large enough to be detected by the naked eye.
Diamonds with minimal inclusions are considered rare and highly valuable.
What Are The Different Types Of Diamond Inclusions And Blemishes?
Types of Diamond Inclusions:
- Cloud: A cloud is a group of small pinpoints that cluster together inside the diamond, negatively affecting the diamond’s brilliance giving it a dull look.
- Feather: A feather is a small crack that can be seen within the diamond. It can be transparent or capture light, depending on the angle at which it is examined.
- Graining: Due to irregular crystal growth, this inclusion causes graining, which may appear as white, colored, or reflective lines.
Diamond clarity is an important characteristic to consider when shopping for diamonds, which is why it is part of the 4 C’s that are used to grade a diamond’s quality.
Every diamond is unique. At Diamonds for Less, we offer the highest quality diamonds on the market. Our job is not only to help you choose a diamond but to also educate you on diamonds so that you know you’re making the best choice for you. No matter the occasion, we make sure that any piece of jewelry you choose will shine bright and be loved and adored by your loved one.